St Mary's Church
The school is located next to St Mary's Church and the school has very close links with the church. St Mary's is our foundation church.
The Church of St. Mary dates from Norman times, is dedicated to the Virgin Mother of Jesus and is situated near Yate town centre, where its tower forms a prominent landmark. Lying at what was once the entrance to the old Royal Forest lands of Kings Wood. (now Kingswood), it is mentioned in the Doomsday Book of 1086. A Saxon church might have been here but many were replaced by Norman buildings after the conquest in 1066.
The church supports our Christian ethos of inclusivity, openness, service and nurture, with the clergy regularly leading services for our children, both at school and within the church.
We enjoy weekly visits to St Mary's for collective worship but also visit there for events such as our annual Christingle Service, Harvest, a special Easter Service, along with other projects where we work together. The church is also an invaluable resource for our RE teaching, providing both an opportunity for our children to expand their understanding of Christianity and a springboard for drawing parallels with other religions.
St Mary's is a place and space valued and respected by our local community. It is a busy neighbourhood location with a rich programme of events. St Mary's is our church, and everyone is always very welcome. Click here for more information.
In addition to having a close connection to our foundation church, our children benefit from the strong relationships we have with several other local churches, particularly through 'Regenerate', a group representing many of the local churches in the area.